Re: Shutdown immediate hang.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 18:39:20 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000 23:03:44 +0800, Joe <joetin_at_netvigator.com> wrote:

>In a situation that there is no Oracle Instance or Service
>running, when I issue the following command once more
>
>SVRMGR> shutdown immediate
>
>in the Server Manager, the Server Manager hangs (or waiting
>for something). I have to Ctrl-C or open
>another session and server manager, then issue
>shutdown abort in order to get the UNIX prompt back.
>
>My version of Oracle is 8.1.5 running on Sparc Solaris 2.6
>
>I want to know whether the shutdown immediate can't
>work in such case. I do not have this problem in ver 7.3.4.
>
>Thank in advance.
>
>Joe
>joetin_at_netvigator.com

Well I did have the same problem in 7.3.4. Infrequently, but it did occur. Usually this is an issue of
running the Oracle intelligent agent (always stop the listener first!),
having database links open,
the job mechanism checking too often (and performing a job frequently),
sometimes a background detached server process that had to be killed manually, etc.

If all else fails usually resolved by a shutdown abort or by killing the PMON process.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 12:39:20 CST