Re: Setting up Oracle DB to be a MTS.

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 11:50:12 -0500

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000 11:05:06 -0500, you wrote:

>fumi wrote:
>>
>> > The ratio of users to MTS server processes is 60:1. So if you have 100
>> > users you'd need two server processes. With 1200 users it would be 20
>> > server processes.
>>
>> IMO, your ratio 60 seems too high.
>> However, it's the rule of experience, someone says 10, 20, or 25.
>>

>That was Oracle's recommendation during a recent telcon request support. We
>had 10 servers configured and they said that was way to high for the
>number of users we had and they recommended 60:1. That may only apply to
>7.3.4 and 8i may be different.

It is purely a function of the number of active sessions.

If you have 1,000 users and were using dedicated server and found that on average "select count(*) from v$session where status = 'ACTIVE'" returned 100 -- you would need about 10:1 to make it so no one has to wait for a shared server. OTOH, if you found the count was 10, you could get away with perhaps 100:1 without waiting... YMMV, it all depends, each site will be different.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 10:50:12 CST