Re: Oracle Dying ??

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:10:04 GMT

In article <38725B6D.1952D896_at_yahoo.com>,   Michael Rothwell <marothwell_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Twice today, on a system that has been running for months, my Oracle
> processes have turned up dead. When I go to svrmgrl I can connect
> internal but when I try to startup, I get the error message stating
that
> the instance is already running, when I try to shutdown immediate it
> tells me that I'm not logged on. I can shutdown abort without
problem.

> this is a 7.3.4 db on an UX 10.4
>
> pmon, smon, dbwr, lgwr are all gone when this happens.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Michael

When the Oracle background processes just go away the sgadef file for the instance probably still exists and Oracle is going to tell you that you can not start it because it is still running. The proper procedure is to do a shutdown abort followed by a startup.

Then you should go looking for messages in the alert log just prior to, during, and after you startup. If the log is clean then proceed back for several hours looking for internal error messages.

Next check for trace files from the background processes pmon, smon, etc... and look at those.

Finally check out the user trace files.

Once you have an error message and some trace files you should probably call support or do your own search on the error number. If you do not find any message and/or trace you can call support but I do not think they will be able to help.

You could try checking out any recent changes to the system and Oracle such as adding or modifing a job to kill runaway sessions, hot swapping of disk was in progress (sometimes these invisible tasks are not so invisible) etc....

Good luck!
--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 10:10:04 CST