SQL Plus EXIT verb does it work?

From: Bob Hunchberger <hunch_at_iquest.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:37:13 -0500

The following lines are the content of a sqlplus script. I want to pass the value of id back via sqlplus to the OS (in this case HP-UX) and I have not been able to get it to return the value. I want the unix shell script to check the return code of the sqlplus script I executed so I can do some processing. Currently, all I get when I do an echo $? is a 0 or a 1. The value of id is really -10. Is it possible to do this or am I dreaming?

thanks for you help

bob H.
hunchberger_at_lessinc.com

variable id number
begin
testa ('h',:id);
end;
/
exit id

Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.2.0 - Production With the distributed, replication, parallel query and Spatial Data options PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.2.0 - Production

Usage: { EXIT | QUIT }

    [ SUCCESS | FAILURE | WARNING | n | Variable ] [ COMMIT | ROLLBACK ] Disconnected from Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.2.0 - Production Received on Tue Jan 04 2000 - 14:37:13 CST