Re: dimensional database

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 15:22:54 GMT

In article <28bc935d.deefce2a_at_usw-ex0109-066.remarq.com>,   gilic <gili.cohenNOgiSPAM_at_alcatel.co.il.invalid> wrote:
> Hi.
> I would like to know what is a dimesinal database.
> Do U know where I can get information on dimensional
> database?
> Thanks,Gili
>
> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also
find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Essbase is a multi-dimensional database and Oracle Express is a product that basicallys uses an rdbms to hold a multi-dimensional database which are databases that view data not just as rows and columns but as dimensions which can be such things as time, region, product etc.... It is another way of conceptually organizing and accessing data that is usually associated with OLAP and Data Warehousing.

I know I have a real definition around my desk somewhere but I have no idea where its buried in all my junk so try posting to comp.database.theory as you should be able to get a better response there.

Note Oracle 8.1 also has an object known as a dimension. --
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jan 04 2000 - 09:22:54 CST