Oracle replacement for Sybase #temp tables

From: Kristy Kallback-Rose <kallbac_at_steel.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: 4 Jan 2000 15:07:06 GMT

We are in the process of converting to Oracle from Sybase. Under Sybase we had used #temp tables quite a bit (within SQRs, and in the SQL for datagroup builds to avoid complex joins, for example) and need a replacement for them in Oracle.

Oracle's global temporary tables aren't quite ready for prime-time yet, in that they have some optimizer problems. I don't want to start a discussion about GTTs, we've already decided not to use them. Rather I'm hoping to hear from someone who used Sybases's #temp tables and is now using, for lack of a better term, 'permanent temporary tables' in Oracle with something like sessionid key to keep the table name unique. It is a requirement, at least for the SQRs, that the table name be unique.

If someone does have this type of experience behind them I'd be glad to provide more details. You can reply to this post or via e-mail.

Thanks,
Kristy
--
Kristy Kallback-Rose
Information Access & Repository Services Team University Information Technology Services Indiana University, Bloomington Received on Tue Jan 04 2000 - 09:07:06 CST