Re: UNIX 2 gig size limit.

From: Robert Briley <rbriley_at_cp.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 15:27:19 -0800

Yes, when importing a large file Oracle will need to need to read from a pipe. What is going on is that Oracle's import and export programs can't read or a write beyond the 2 Gigabyte point in a file. Using a named pipe gets around Oracle's limitation since the pipe is only a few hundred blocks long but actually passes gigabytes of information. When the data is written out, Oracle can write to the pipe and thus output more than 2 gigabytes. Generally people compress the output of the named pipe onto a tape device.

When you take the data from the backup file, you must uncompress the file if it has been compressed and then read it into the system through a named pipe. If you try to read a regular uncompressed file Oracle will freeze after 2 gig. So make sure the oracle import and export files are seeing named pipes and not regular files so they can handle larger amounts of information.

Regards
-R