Online Backup Script

From: Erik Williams <elw_at_williamsconsulting.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 05:54:10 GMT

I once ran across a stored proc that performed online backups in an interesting way. It queried the DBA_TABLESPACES table and itterated through each record. For each record, it placed the tablespace in backup mode, then queried the DBA_DATA_FILES table to copy each datafile with a HOST command.

The reason I liked this script was that if table spaces or datafiles were added to the DB, it was not necessary to update the backup scripts. Also, it would be possible to schedule it to run using RDBMS_JOB package.

Has anyone seen such a script? I suppose I will rewrite it and post it if I cant find it, but my PL/SQL is a bit rusty.

Thanks for the help.
Erik Received on Mon Jan 03 2000 - 23:54:10 CST