Re: ORACLE8 ON SUN SOLARIS-BACKING UP SERVER

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 02:11:45 GMT

flowerss_at_my-deja.com wrote:

]Solaris 7. Can someone give me the command line to BACKUP the ENTIRE
]SERVER? The reason that I need to backup the entire server is to

Get two good full backups, keep one handy and the other across town.

  1. Go to /etc/vfstab and make a note of all the disk devices that are mounted (check with df as well).
  2. Set the root password to nothing.
  3. Shut down the server to the ok> prompt.
  4. Put the Solaris 7 CD in and boot cdrom
  5. Answer "no" to networking, and exit the install (esc 5) at the earliest opportunity.
  6. Use ufsdump to dump all the devices from step 1. to tape.
  7. re-boot to normal.
  8. re-set your root password
  9. Check that you can read the tapes.

I do this as often as I can, i.e. when I am going to have the server down for hardware changes. I like having a full, offline, backup around. Normally I just do ufsdumps while the filesystems are mounted and in use. I do full offline backups whenever I get a chance though. If I didn't have one handy, I'd be planning on doing one soon. --
 ,-,_|\ George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet. __

/    * \ Home: gedau_at_pobox.com         !  Any views or opinions expressed (OO)
\_,--\_/ Work: gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au    !  above may be mine, but are NOT ( \/ )
      v   WWW: http://pobox.com/~gedau !  necessarily those of M.I.M.     W--W