Re: ora-01658,unable to create initial extent for segment in table space system

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:37:07 +0100

Hi Anurag,

This means there is no free extent in the tablespace system greater than or equal to the extent size you are asking from it. You could verify this by running

select * from dba_free_space where tablespace_name = 'SYSTEM' and bytes >= <your extent>
/

This should return no rows.

As this is the system tablespace and reorganizing the system tablespace usually means recreating the database you need to enlarge the system tablespace.
I would simply resize the datafile if there is still space on the disk (alter database datafile '<filename>' resize <new_size> M) I would not add a datafile.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA