MS OLE DB Provider for Oracle/MS ODBC for Oracle ver. 2.573.4202.00

From: Jørgen Haukland <jorgen.haukland_at_telenor.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 13:32:45 +0100

Hello !

We have upgraded our Oracle databases from ver 8.0.4 to 8i on our NT 4.0 server. We are using MS Visual Studio 6 (SP3)tools and the Data Transformation Service (DTS) in MS SQL-server 7.0 to program and load data into our databases.

It seems that Oracle 8i is less compatible than Oracle 8.0.4 regarding MS drivers. In Oracle 8.0.4 we could for example look at the design of the tables from a VC++ dataproject (through MS ODBC for Oracle ver. 2.573.4202.00 - from the latest MDAC-package from MS), and we could delete/add columns and change datatypes of columns in a very convenient way. This is no longer possible in Oracle 8i.

We have a more seriuos problem when we try to load data. When we now try to load data from MS Excel into our base via DTS (MS SQL-server 7.0), after the creation of the table (from DTS) we get error "ORA-00942: Table or view does not exist". The table does exist in user_tables (when we query from SQL*Plus), and it is displayed from VC++ and VB, but Oracle won't recognise it when we try select * from.

I am looking for suggestions/experiences on the subject. Do we have to downgrade to 8.0.4 (and say goodbye to our planned java stored procedures ....) to manipulate the base the way we like ??

Thanks for any comments !

Jorgen Haukland
EDB 4tel
NORWAY Received on Mon Jan 03 2000 - 06:32:45 CST