help on point in time recovery of a partition

From: <sheldond_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 20:10:49 GMT

I am trying to create a backup recovery strategy and would appreciate comments.

The following is my configuration.

  1. ORACLE 8.05 Enterprise edition
  2. The SID runs in ARCHIVE MODE
  3. The tables and indexes in the SID are partitioned. (Each partition in a different tablespace).
  4. Most tables have referential integrity.
  5. RMAN can be used if needed.

The system that I use is an online system with a batch window for each partition. (I.e. while a batch window is open for one partition all other partitions must be available for online work.).

I need to be able to perform forward recovery on any partition in the case of a media failure e.g. disk crash.

I also need to be able to recover a particular partition to a point in time. E.g. recover partition 1 to before last nights batch.

The recovery procedure should be automatic (e.g. the user will execute a script backrcvpart1 or forrcvpart1).

I am a DB2 DBA who is quite new to ORACLE.

From what I have read and tried the following is my conclusion

  1. Forward recovery with RMAN works well.
  2. Backward or point in time recovery is a problem. In DB2 all I have to do is recover tablespace tocopy (name of copy).