Re: 8.1.5 - Dual gone schizoid

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 10:14:31 -0600

Yes, it is possible to have more than one row in SYS.DUAL. We had it happen in Oracle 7.3.2 on HP-UX 10.20, and we had the same error in our application (fetch returns more than one row), so we modified our application SQL to ensure that it returned only one row:

select max(sysdate) into d from sys.dual ;

Our DBA was not able to track down what caused the second row to be inserted into SYS.DUAL. He was, howeber, able to delete the offending row. But now, if this happens again, our application will continue to work ! Received on Sat Jan 01 2000 - 10:14:31 CST