Re: Tuning db_block_buffer

From: MickM <mickm_at_spirit.com.au>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 15:42:11 +1000

Hi,

I've seen this happen before too. Without any real technical explanation, I just assume that the hit ratio is not directly proportional to an increase in db_block_buffers. I had a buffer cache of approximately 300MB. As I increased this in 10MB increments, the hit ratio did not improve in relative increments, and on some occasions it may have actually dropped. The drop may have been due to an increase in users, usage, etc. After about 4 increments of 10MB, I increased the buffer cache to 600MB, and there was a huge increase in the hit ratio, to about 97% (from approx 75%).

This probably won't help much, but just an observation on my experience.

Regards,
Mick