Re: Oracle8/8i Limits & Sizing

From: Mark Townsend <mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:53:52 -0800

Rob - comments inline

Rob Forster wrote:

> I'd appreciate a quick response on the issue of O8/O8i as to items such as:
>
> 1.) CPUs supported

No theoretical upper limit. In practice we have single 64 way SMP TPC-C's published - more on a cluster. For 200 concurrent users, depending on workload, you are probably looking at a 2 or 4 way SMP box
> 2.) Max. Memory

No theoretical upper limit. Basically if the OS can see it, so do we. For 200 concurrent users you are probably looking at somewhere between 512 M to 1 G of ram, depending on OS, application and workload. YMMV. Your application vendor, hardware provider or local Oracle office should be able to help you with this.

> 3.) # of Users

No theoretical upper limit, normally dictated by memory and NIC support. 200 concurrent users is not a large load.

> 4.) Max. DB Size

Somewhere around 1/2 million terabytes in theory. In practice there are many terabyte plus sites. Most are data warehousing, but some are OLTP. If you are looking at more than a couple of hundred gigabytes, you may also want to look at Oracle Partitioning, which will help with data management.

> 5.) Other H/W etc.

Tape drive(s) for backup/archiving.
Fast network connections and interfaces. Some level of redundant disk - RAID or mirrored. You don't need to buy the whole farm for this however (i.e RAID 5). If you are concerned about availability, consider a cluster solution (2 Node) and look at failover architectures. Available for both NT and Unix.
Consider a separate server for disaster recovery - make sure the network link between production and disaster site is fast and reliable.

> 6.) Preferred O/S

My preference ? or Oracle's ? :-).

In reality, any OS is going to support 200 concurrent users on the correctly sized box. Talk to the hardware vendors and let them persuade you.

Good luck !! In case you need it, Oracle Canada can be contacted at http://www.oracle.ca/. For local office location, see http://www.oracle.ca/offices.html

--
Regards,

Mark Townsend

Senior Product Manager Ph: (650) 633 5764