Re: Array fetch problem (ORA-24371)

From: <domosoft_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:44:44 GMT

In article <386A62CE.387B1B8E_at_Unforgettable.com>,   Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com> wrote:
> domosoft_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > I migrating From Oracle v &.3 to Oracle 8i.
> > under AIX version 4.3.
> >
> > In the Proc*C program we use array fetch without indicator.
> > The program finish with core dump (segmentation violation) and the
> > following oracle error appear ORA-24371. (check the documentation
for
> > the fun)
> > I reduce the program to test the array fetching and I remark that
the
> > process run if we put indicator variable. But I have a lot of jobs
> > without indicator..
> >
> > Is someone have an idea how to correct this problem without put
> > indicator in the code.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> Is it safe to assume you must be using the "unsafe_null" parameter to
get
> your code to compile?
>
> If you are getting a segmentation fault then it probably means that
one of
> your host variables is not large enough to hold the value that is
being
> passed by the cursor and thus you are overrunning storage.
>
> However, there simply are no good excuses for not using indicator
> variables. They are not that difficult to code and they are there for
> reason. Good coding practices would always include indicator
variables.

We aggree with you about Good coding practices... But we have about 300 program without indicator! Do you think I will change all, just to correct old bad coding practices... who worked in version 7.3.

My host variable size are the good size. And I don't use unsafe_null precompiler parameter. But I receive an information from an Oracle guys about an referenced bug.
The solution is to upgrade to version 8.1.5.1 and 8.1.6.

Thanks to all for your help

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Dec 30 1999 - 07:44:44 CST