Re: Analyze -Command

From: Alan Moorman <alm2_at_XYZemail1.dss.state.va.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 07:42:34 -0500

If your ERP is Oracle Applications (release 10.7 or 11), it won't do any good to analyze your tables. The results of ANALYZE are used when your instance is running CHOOSE or COST optimization. Oracle Applications uses rule-based optimization and have numerous hints imbedded in the code anyway.

I've heard from Peoplesoft DBAs that, since their code is ported to various back-ends, they use ANSI SQL only and therefore can exhibit performance problems by not taking advantage of vendor extensions. These same DBAs said that they cannot touch the SQL code, so they play with adding indexes and physical placement strategies to improve performance.

Don't know how others like SAAP, BAAN and Lawson work but suspect they're similar to Peoplesoft.

Alan
Christian Bühl (Veltrup) wrote in message <84f37m$c53$1_at_news08.btx.dtag.de>...
>Can anyone tell me the Syntax of the Command Analyze.
>I read that this command must be executed to start the internal optimizer
of
>Oracle 8. But i did not found any further description of this command. (I
>need to optimize because oft the very bad reaction times (with only 5
Users)