Best American/English oriented character set?

From: SightBlinder <no email>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 02:27:08 GMT

What is the better character set to use for a database that is used mostly with the English language? Seems like the default US7ASCII is not a flexible as the WE8ISO8859P1, which is the NT standard.

Most if not all of my buisness partners/clients use NT workstations or NT servers for the application client OS. It would seem to make better sense to use the same character set on the database as what is on the application client.

What is the best? Is there a drawback to using WE8ISO8859P1 in an American/English language oriented database. I haven't found one, just want to make sure I have not missed something.

What about the new Unicode support from Oracle? UTF-8? Is it a superset of WE8ISO8859P1?

thanks in advance
~Jim Received on Wed Dec 29 1999 - 20:27:08 CST