Enterprise Backup tool(FDR) and Oracle

From: <buckeye714_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:28:30 GMT

I am a relatively new Oracle DBA, 3 months. I am working on a mission critical application. It is 7x24, uses Oracle replication to maintain a backup server, all data disks are hardware mirrored, 2.1 million records are inserted daily, and a hot backup is performed on the read/write tablespaces 3 times daily. During the hot backup, the data files are copied to an EMC array. The EMC array is connected by fibre channel to the companies mainframe, which has some tape silos hanging off it. The company is currently evaluating FDR as an enterprise backup solution. The data on the EMC arrays would be backed up by FDR, running on the mainframe, to the tape silos.

Does anyone have experience doing this? How does FDR perform? Are there any oracle specific caveats that I should be aware of?

The application I am working on is just the first to make use of the enterprise solution. The powers that be plan on using the enterprise solution to backup all of our off host systems (Solaris, HPUX, AIX, NT, and Novell servers). If anybody has war stories I would love to hear them.

Thanks for your help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 29 1999 - 08:28:30 CST