Re: miliseconds since 1970 something

From: <buurd_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 07:55:39 GMT

 No.. I mean the number of miliseconds as given by java.util.Date.getTime()

getTime()
Returns the number of milliseconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00:00 GMT represented by this date.

I think that is how the systemclock works, counting miliseconds. When getting the date from my database a can get the time on the milisecond and it will matter in some cases. But i would prefer if i didn't have to parse the date since it is a rather large number of dates that is handled.

Tia
Roland

In article <h9eh6solls7bfo7rco4g5v9jv9tpd26lue_at_4ax.com>,   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
> A copy of this was sent to buurd_at_my-deja.com
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:37:59 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >How do i get Oracle server to format a date to the number of
> >miliseconds since 1970 something (a standardvalue used in Java). I
> >think i could save some cpu cycles on my appserver by doing this
> >translatation in the database, i'll guess the database have to do
some
> >translation work anyway so why not to this value...
> >
> >Tia
>
> I think you mean the number of seconds -- not milliseconds?
>
> If so, see
> http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/Misc/CTime.html
>
> btw: Java doesn't use the number of seconds since 1970 typically --
you would
> use Date or Calendar objects typically...
>
> --
> See http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to
Oracle8i'...
> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated
June 21'st

> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
Corporation

--
Roland Carlsson
Certified Java programmer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 29 1999 - 01:55:39 CST