Re: How Oracle send notification to external middleware program when data is changed?

From: RC <rclarence_at_tyc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:30:42 GMT

sjsyau wrote:

> We have a middleware connect between front end and Oracle db,
> the FE send message through middleware to Oracle to update the db,
> but sometimes, we need to update the db through some PL/SQL
> programs and we want the Oracle send a notification to FE through
> middleware. We don't want to use trigger at table level to call
> external program, we never trust triggers.
> Is there a solution for this?
>
> please e-mail to sjsyau_at_yahoo.com
>
> Thanks.
>
> Irving
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Well triggers are VERY trustworthy(although not without restrictions) if however, you wish to avoid them you can flag rows that are updated by your PL/SQL and have a Pro C program running as a daemon which wakes up from time to time checks which rows have been updated, informs the middleware and then resets the flags for those rows and goes back to sleep. You could also have PL/SQL call the middleware directly through an external function call or by writing a file out with the primary key of the updated rows or... well you get the point lots of ways to accomplish the task the solution depends on the flexibility and needs of you middleware / FE.

HTH RC