Re: Two databases but one instance

From: Paul Bennett <bennett_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:44:08 GMT

> >If you have two separate sets of tables, say for two different applications, you
> >can run them both in one instance of oracle. You would simply create two schemas
> >and put the corresponding tables in each schema. You would then create all your
> >users (which are really just schemas) for each application and set the permissions
> >accordingly.
>
> shemas=tablespaces, when talking about tables to put in ?

Where the tables and their data go on the disk is another issue all together and is at another level of design. You could put all the tablse from each schema in one tablespace. More likley, you would put the tables for each schema in speperate tablespaces, probably on seperate drives.

> >Now, both applications would share the same SGA, rollback segs, etc.
> >
> >You can accomplish this by exporting the tables from instance1 and importing them
> >into instance2. The import program allows you to import into a different schema
> >then you exported from.
>
> I would say that you should look out for name conflicts. Be sure to
> log the outpt from import (and export) and study it carefully. Be also
> sure that the nessesary permissions, space, etc exist before
> importing.

> If users, tablespaces, table, etc all differ in the two databases,
> then it should be straight forward. I asume the two databases are
> identical (same version and have the same administration scripts
> applied).

I think when you import a schema from a export it puts the tables in the default tablespace of the new user you are importing into.