pwd file doc error?

From: Paul Bennett <bennett_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:20:32 GMT

In the oracle 8.0.3 docs regarding setting the password when creating a password file.

"PASSWORD This parameter sets the password for INTERNAL and SYS. If you issue the ALTER USER command to change the password after connecting to the database, both the password stored in the data dictionary and the password stored in the password file are updated. The INTERNAL user is supported for backwards compatibility only. This parameter is mandatory."

I issue ALTER USER "SYS" IDENTIFIED BY "APPLE"

now, I can do

CONNECT SYS/APPLE However, I have to do

CONNECT INTERNAL/OLD_PASSWORD but, the paragraph suggests I should be able to connect internal with the new password.

Also,

CONNECT SYS/APPLE AS SYSDBA does not work, I have to use CONNECT SYS/OLD_PASSWORD AS SYSDBA. Is the documentation just wrong? I am going to have to recreate the password file to get the desired effect.

Also, is there a way to connect AS SYSDBA/SYSOPER without the user having to know the "INTERNAL" password set in the password file? What happens if I demote someone who had at one time been granted SYSDBA. I can revoke SYSDBA from them, but they can just connect as internal with the password that they had to use.

I would like to be able to do:

CREATE USER PAUL IDENTIFIED BY TREE
GRANT SYSDBA TO PAUL Then I can do
CONNECT PAUL/TREE to get to my schema and then do CONNECT PAUL/TREE AS SYSDBA or SYSOPER to do those functions.

But, it seems like I have to do
CONNECT PAUL/<INTERALs PASSWORD> AS SYSDBA

These are remote connections, by the way on oracle 8.0.3.x.x