Re: Very new to Oracle

From: Steve Pax <sap_at_camsys.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:46:43 -0500

You can do it with any kind of backup - otherwise backups are worthless - but a cold backup is easiest.
It amounts to an exercise in recovery.
If the old machine were destroyed, you would have to do exactly the same thing to recover.

I did it once on NT, but I can only give you high level instructions. 1 - I made a cold backup.
2 - I made a database on the new machine - I probably had to make the control file have the same name, and I probably used the same initialization file. One thing that does on NT is create the necessary system services - I don't know what would be equivalent on UNIX.

3 - I simulated a disaster by deleting all the files for the new database.
4 - I recovered using the backup.
5 - During recovery I changed the names and locations of all the tablespaces
using (i think) the alter database command. That required mounting the database and making the changes before opening it. It was 8.0.4 and i got all the necessary information
from the oracle * DBA handbook and the online docs.

I would have to read the manual some to do it again, but fortunately it is a forgiving process because you can start over after a mistake.

I've been wondering if you can move a database from one operating system to another this way.

Hope that helps,
Steve