Re: Newbie question: Installing SP5 on oracle server machine

From: W. Scott Moore <sirws_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:28:52 -0700

I would definitely do a shutdown normal or shutdown immediate of the database first, and then you can either go into the control panel and stop the services, or you can issue the 'net stop <servicename>' command.

And like the others said, set the services to manual instead of automatic, so they don't try and start when the machine reboots. You can set them back to automatic after the service pack is applied and you are happy with everything.

As always, a cold backup beforehand and/or a full export is always a good idea.

good luck.

Scott