Re: Best way to creatre a database in Oracle 8.0.5 under WinNT

From: GC <johnny_sanga_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:18:18 GMT

Ash wrote:

> Hi I am taking a course in Oracle DBA and I am not satisfied the way I am
> told about how to go for creating a database or as to how we will be
> expected to create a database in real life, so will very very much
> appreciate if someone being actual DBA from his own experience can show me
> how a database is created in a very professional work environment with full
> syntax and real life example and if possible you please email me the actual
> scripts
> I thank you so much for your precious time
> I know theres so much help on this topic but I would prefer to hear from
> some Professional DBAs

What are you unsatisfied with? Exactly what are they saying that strikes you as strange? As always, the best way to learn is by doing. Check out the 'create database' command, read up on some of the scripts that have to be run in conjunction with this command (e.g. catalog.sql), and sit yourself down in front of a test machine some day.

An easy way to view the scripts necessary is to use the db assistant (I can't recall offhand if 8.0.5 for NT (8.0.5 at the office is run on Solaris) has a db assistant similar to 8i for NT). At the very end, where the option to create the database now or save the results to a batch script, choose the latter and then study the scripts to get an idea of what is run.

As for 'real life', personally I use a set of scripts that creates a skeleton database (sorry I can't give them to you, but this being vacation I'm keeping as far away from the office as possible :), and modify this database as is necessary during prototyping. After most of the design is complete, a development database is created using modified scripts and it is installed on a development server. Later a test database is installed strictly for testing and integration (as we are a software development shop, this database matches the clients requirements as close as possible. There is no 'production' database as such, until the product reaches the client). If we were not a software shop, but rather an accounting firm, the database requirements would be significantly different. So, as you can see, there is no single way to create a 'real life' database.

Cheers,
GC Received on Tue Dec 28 1999 - 10:18:18 CST