Which NT does 8i for NT require and where can I get it?

From: John Hicks <johnhicks_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 21:32:11 -0500

Please pardon these newby questions, but -- judging from the seminars that Oracle has been holding and the software they are giving out to developers -- I have a hunch I'm not the only one in this situation:

I have Oracle 8i Enterprise for NT with a developer's license (obtained at one of the recent Oracle seminars) and want to install it and start learning about it. One small problem: I don't have a copy of NT.

  1. Does 8i for NT require NT Server or will NT client do?
  2. Is there a way to get a devloper's licensed (i.e. cheap) copy of NT? The best I can find for NT Server is 5-user version for $999 or a MSDN Professional Subscription for $699, both a bit steep for my pocketbook.
  3. Would I do better to chuck my 8i for NT and download the 8i for Linux?

Thanks in advance.

--John Hicks Received on Mon Dec 27 1999 - 20:32:11 CST