Re: Newbie:Creating Tablespace

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 00:43:18 GMT

In article <847bnl$r9d$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sboucher_at_msn.com wrote:
> I am a little uncertain how tablespace works. I have several flat
> ascii files amounting to 300MB I will be loading into various tables
> with SQL loader.
>
> Do I create a tablespace first with a size of 300MB. How is database
> growth handled.
>
> Thanks
> Scott

In Oracle a tablespace is a logical entity that is used to collect one or more physical OS data files together to support the storage of logical objects like tables and indexes.

Every table is associated with a tablespace either by use of the tablespace clause or by default to the users default tablespace. So by assigning a table to a tablespace Oracle normally handles the assigning of tables to Os files.

You can find documentation for this in the Concepts Manual and in the SQL manual under Create Table and Create User.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 27 1999 - 18:43:18 CST