Re: Very new to Oracle

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 00:23:29 GMT

In article <848lv3$nrk$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   pfhncp0_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I'm fairly new to oracle and I need to learn how to move a database
> from one unix machine (HP-UX) to another unix machine (HP-UX). Where
do
> I start on looking for information on how to do this? Is it an easy
> task or a difficult one? Thanks in advance.
>
> Neil

If the database is small then install Oracle on the new machine, build a database, then import the data from an export file made with exp on the original platform. This is the easiest way.

You should create every tablespace that exists in the old system in the new one or you can pre-allocate all your tables if you want to move and/or resize them.

As far as the Oracle documentation goes Ch 2 of the ver 8 DBA Admin guide discusses building a database and the Utilities manual has all you want to know about imp and exp.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 27 1999 - 18:23:29 CST