Re: ORA-01033

From: GC <johnny_sanga_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 21:27:09 GMT

Donald Roeber wrote:

> Yikes! My Solaris server crashed the other day, and although it is back
> and happy, Oracle is not. From what I can tell (I know next to nothing
> about Oracle, and both of our Oracle DBAs here are gone until the 3rd),
> most everything is running properly, but one of the users is complaining
> that he's getting an error ORA-01033 when trying to log onto SQLPlus. I
> have -no- idea how to fix this. Can some kind soul please provide me with
> near step by step instructions on how? I can handle the Solaris side of
> things, but I've no idea about how to fix Oracle. Thank you for all your
> help, and have a happy holiday.

%oerr ora 01033
01033, 00000, "ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress" // *Cause: An attempt was made to log on while Oracle is being started up
// or shutdown.
// *Action: Wait a few minutes. Then retry the operation.

It would appear that your Oracle instance has not properly started up after the crash. Run svrgmrl, connect internal, type startup, and what does it say? (first check /etc/oratab. It should say appear as: lcia:/opt/oracle/product/8.1.5:N With lcia being the particular database instance name, /opt/oracle/product/8.1.5 being the Oracle_Home directory, and N being one of Y/N -> whether to start the db when the system boots. If the last part is set to Y, first type shutdown immediate, then type startup open [instance_name])

Cheers,
GC Received on Mon Dec 27 1999 - 15:27:09 CST