Re: JServer : to buy or not to buy?

From: Mark Townsend <mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:10:27 -0800

Jean-Marc Vanbel wrote:

> Is JServer a real product or is it included in de Oracle 8i database?
> JServer product is in the Oracle price list as separate product but it is
> not present in the Oracle Store.

As of the new price changes, announced December 20, JServer is no longer a separately priced option - so a purchase of Oracle8i or Oracle8i Enterprise Edition now includes the functionality previously provided by the JServer option

> Do I have to buy licences for JServer if I use JServer as application server
> with Oracle 8i?

If you mean a separate instance of Oracle8i, running in the middle tier as an application server, interacting with another back end database acting as a data server, then you will need to licence both servers. I'd question why you would want to do this however - it may be cheaper to consolidate both servers into one tier, or alternatively, look at Oracle Application Server as your middle tier

--
Regards,

Mark Townsend

Senior Product Manager Ph: (650) 633 5764