Re: Database redunancy

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 18:10:56 +0100

In Oracle 8 this is simply an issue of using the Net8 assistant to configure the network. You can' t use Easy config as that always generate non-names servers configs.

In Oracle 7 you need to run Oracle Network Manager to configure the network. ONM is a 16-bit product and is included in the Windows 3.1 client only. Before you start you need to run the ros scripts (rosbild.sql and rosgrn.sql) and the nmc scripts (nmcbild.sql and nmcgrn.sql). I don't remember the exact directory, probably %ORACLE_HOME%/dbs, where ORACLE_HOME of course is ORAWIN.

You need to remember the following before configuring the network: - you can't use hardcoded IP's, you need to have a proper DNS mechanism somewhere
- you can't use the world domain, as your domain is going to be a proper dns-domain, like unforgettable.com
- There are several flaws in the Oracle Network Manager. It will generate an IPC block for every instance, this will result in problems with OEM. As you can save a config to both flat files and a database, you need to save the flat files also and post-edit your tnsnames.ora, listener.ora and sqlnet.ora (to make sure all keywords are in uppercase, and redundant ipc blocks have been deleted)

When you have a network definition you save it to any database, you start the server by using namesctl and that's it. This means the nameserver needs to run on the same system as that database, as it will use IPC to download the definition to a flat file. This flat file is refreshed at intervals you can specify. Adding a new service to the nameserver is transparent. Just reload it and you're fixed.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA