Re: Oracle on NT versious UNIX

From: <mutht_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:29:47 GMT

I just wanted to throw in that with the Windows Scripting Host (http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/management/Techdetails/TechSpecs/WSH. asp) does provide a pretty robust scripting service to automate NT tasks.

In article <386175F6.BC0832A_at_hotmail.com>,   GC <johnn_sanga_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> mayooran wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I do not wish to start an NT versious UNIX war.
> >
> > What OS is best to run Oracle. Currently running on
> > an Ultra 4000 with Solaris 2.6. An NT consultant is saying
> > it is best to run Oracle on an NT platform. I am actually
> > looking for pros/cons of the 2 different platforms.
>
> Just my opinion based upon experience:
>
> NT: Pros: Easy to maintain the OS. Relatively stable (that is, if you
> can afford to schedule a reboot every once in a while) if you are not
> too demanding on the database. Sysadmin not necessary to keep database
> server running (although it is always a good idea to have your
friendly,
> competant sysadmin set the OS up for the database (and only for the
> database - no other apps allowed!)
> Cons: Not a good platform for mission critical databases, or for
> databases that cannot be brought down for a scheduled OS reboot.
Rather
> constricted set of automation tools (few if any come with NT, although
> Perl has been ported). Scripting language is pretty much non-existant
on
> NT (.bat files are about as good as it gets).
>
> Unix: Pros: Very flexible archicture, and very stable for any size
> database. Uptime of months/years without problems. Scripts can be
> created to automate many routine dba tasks, suitable OS for mission
> critical databases.
> Cons: Rather cryptic OS to learn on (i.e. steep learning curve
if
> you are coming from a Windows background). Definite need for a
sysadmin
> to set the box up (unless you yourself are fully qualified, and I
don't
> mean "I've glanced once or twice at Linux, so I'm an admin).
>
> Personally, I much prefer Unix over NT. I have come from a Windows
> background and find Unix infinitely more flexible to work in than
> windows. Others opinions will very.
>
> So the choice is yours. NT is usually easier to get the database
started
> on, Unix will usually be more stable and robust once you get the OS
and
> database setup.
>
> Cheers,
> GC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 27 1999 - 09:29:47 CST