Re: OAS 4 questions

From: Stevie <steviep9_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 00:39:30 GMT

a few questions, hopefully somebody can help me as all this is new to me.

i am attempting to installing OAS.4.0.7 on NT 4 sp 3 running IIS 4 and Oracle RDBMS 8.0.5. this machine is behind a firewall. there are two or three other machines in the network.

  1. the db needs to be stopped prior to install. i went to control panel>services and stopped the only active oracle service i could see. is this all that needs to be done?

You should do a shutdown immediate from the command line. Stopping the service performs a shutdown abort. You can see this in the alert.log
since the database is doing crash recovery upon startup

a second oracle home needs to be created because of the versions of OAS and Oracle. I did that. This comes into play in the next question.

2) variable TNS_ADMIN needs to be set prior to install to the location of tnsnames.ora. that file is in directory e:\orant\Net80\ADMIN. the install documentation is unclear to me. should the variable be set to %ORACLE_HOME%\Net80\ as one interpretation of the documentation suggests? Or, should it be set to e:\orant\Net80\ADMIN? Or, should it be set to something else?

It should be set to ...net80\admin to a valid location. You can install oas and then edit the current tnsnames.ora file and connect via
server manager as a test. Once configure you can keep the tns_admin or leave the oas home string..

3) when specifying a site name, can that be anything i choose? or, does it have to relate to the name defined in IIS?

anything you choose.

4) how do you set service OracleStartOAS4.0(ORACLE_HOME, ORAWEB_SITE) to automatic? The documentation states that this service should not be used for starting OAS from the services panel.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

4.0.7.1 does not startup automatically via the control panel. This is a problem with the way NT starts its services. They have resolcve the problem in 4.0.8