Re: shutdown abort

From: Bent Mathiesen <bm_at_tli.de>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 23:44:41 +0100

On 23 Dec 99 15:27:19 GMT, ion_at_utg.gazprom.ru wrote:

>Bent Mathiesen <bm_at_tli.de> wrote:
>>In my previous job I had 3 larger Oracel DB's. All 7.2.3.0.0.
>>The biggest had a SGA of 700 MB. It took in general 30 sec-60 sec to
>>shutdown immediate. Only if it hung for strange reasons, it was
>>aborted (after sufficient time to shutdown immediate).
>
>How did you shutdown abort Oracle after hanging shutdown immediate?
>When I tried in such situations to connect to Oracle,
>it said "Can't logging in : shutdown in progress".
>Then I had to stop OracleService (on WinNT) on OS level.

As I wrote earlier I ran all my Oracles on Unix'es. The 7.2.3.0.0 was on HPUX'es.

I did:
1) Start 2 telenet sessions.
2) In first telenet I started server manager (line mode) and performed shutdown immediate
3) In second telnet window I monitored amount of oracle processes, generating of archives and the alert log. 4) If the shutdown immediiate seemed to hang. I tried to stop it with ctrl-C (or kill signal from other window) and the shutdown abort if possibile.
5) If it did hang and would not contrinue or stop - I killed the server manager from other window and performed a shutdown abort in a new server manager.

Always after shutdown abort, I checked the alert log and made sure the system could shutdown immediate.

/Bent Received on Sun Dec 26 1999 - 16:44:41 CST