Re: Whole oracle 7.3.4 database move to another server

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:08:13 GMT

if your DB is small, I would go for full exp/full imp if your DB is big and you can 'reconsruct' the same dir structure for logs/controls/dbfiles then just copy
otherwise recreate controlfile, modify it and copy files, there are tons of threads on this, make a search on deja.

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:19:25 -0800, "news.earthlink.net" <rdas_at_tidemarksys.com> wrote:

>Here is the scenario:
> I have two oracle database on two separate servers. OS is NT server on both
>machine. SID name is ORCL on both machine. I would like to move ORCL
>database(SID) from server1 to server2 ORCL database(SID) so that server1
>will be used as pure SQL server.
>What should I do?
>Do I need to create another instance of different name on server2 or can I
>move datafiles from server1 to server2 or control files? What about
>export/Import? Do I need to create schema first on server2?
>Can anybody would kind enough to give details on step-by-step?
>
>thanks.
>
>Rabin

In case I forgot to mention:
We use Oracle 7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email