Re: MTS Oracle_XA performance tuning

From: Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 23:54:05 -0500

The typical behavior is to have up to 3 sessions per in-call object that is participating in a distributed (XA) transaction. If your objects are marked either 'Requires ...' or 'Requires New ...' then they will utilize more than one session while in-call; you may also observe INACTIVE sessions that remain long after the calls are complete.

select status, count(*) from v$session
group by status;

This should show a number of ACTIVE, CACHED & INACTIVE sessions, with the inactive typically being much larger than the sum of active + cached when under heavy loading by multiple client applications.

If your components are marked 'Supports ...' or 'No Transactions' and are directly instantiated by a client application, then no txn will be active and the objects will require but a single connection. You will not observe a significant creep in sessions when not using distributed transactions due to pooling of either OLE DB sessions or ODBC connections by ADO.

Mike