Configuring Oracle Server for remote access in a specific port ra nge?

From: MacNeill, Alan <amacneill_at_xperts.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:06:35 -0500

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this topic for me:

I am trying to configure our Oracle Server (8.0.5, Unix platform, more details available if requested) so that our remote clients and employees can access our databases passing through our firewall.

Our firewall policy currently says that in order to do this, we will need to tie the Oracle services down to a specific port range (which will them be allowed access from certain IP addresses).

I have been reading through the (somewhat arcane and exceptionally badly indexed) documentation we have, and it seems to indicate that we would use multi-threaded server processes to do this...but exactly how to do it is a mystery.

Can anyone shed some light, or at least point me to a better reference?

Thank you

Alan MacNeill
Software Engineer
Xperts, Inc.