Re: An obscure resource management question

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:58:20 GMT

I haven't looked into this yet, but relying on my SA background, I'd have to assume there is no way that Oracle can consume the entire CPU, but only up to the max CPU time allowed per user. Only root or a system-level user can allocate CPU resources away from one user to another. Unless either the Oracle ID is in the system group, or the database is running with the setUID bit turned on, neither of which should be the case, I would venture that the CPU time that Oracle can allocate is limited to the total CPU resources allocated to the user.

In article <38643749.11830461_at_netnews.worldnet.att.net>,   jonathan_at_gennick.com wrote:
> I've been doing some research into Oracle8i's new resource
> management features (see Oracle8i Administrator's Guide,
> chapter 11) lately, and I have a question. These features
> allow you to allocate CPU time between resource consumer
> groups. How does that affect other, non-Oracle processes on
> the same box? If I allocate 100% of CPU to a single consumer
> group, do all non-Oracle applications stop? Does Oracle
> totally take over? That' doesn't seem likely. I can't find
> an answer to this in the Oracle docs. Has anyone else looked
> into this area at all?
>
> Jonathan

> jonathan_at_gennick.com
> http://gennick.com
> Brighten the Corner Where You Are

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Dec 23 1999 - 06:58:20 CST