Oracle doesn't work with SCO NIS?

From: <chriseli_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:34:50 GMT

I've posted this problem on the SCO newgroup and I will post it here as well because it involves Oracle. I also am not familiar on how Oracle works. Now here's the problem:

We've got a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 box acting as a NIS Client to a Red Hat Linux 6.0 box NIS Server. Everything is working nicely with regards to the NIS workings. Now, this company we've commissioned to program our new Accounting Software have been giving us a hard time. They're installing/configuring their accounting program that uses Oracle 7.2.2.3 on the SCO box and it's taking them forever. Their reason now is that Oracle doesn't work propery with SCO systems configured as NIS Clients. Here's what they said:

"We've hit a problem with the NIS system you are using for user
authentication. It appears Oracle Forms and Oracle Menu cannot resolve user id's using NIS on SCO. From talking to Oracle support and through my own research it looks like SCO's implementation of NIS has several bugs in it that causes problems with Oracle. Right now it looks like the only solution is to disable NIS on maple [the SCO box] and store the user id's and passwords directly on the system. We need to do this asap."

i've asked for a more detailed explanationa and here's what they gave me:

"Here is the issue with NIS. There are some bugs in SCO's NIS
implementation that affects Oracle. When a user try's to log into the Plus system it verifies the user ID against the unix userid. In order for this to work the userid's and passwords need to be on the same system that Oracle is running on. They cannot be stored on another server. What this means for your setup is NIS has to be disabled on maple only and the userid's on the central NIS server need to be duplicated on maple. This will not affect any of your other systems. All it means is you are maintaining users in 2 different locations. As long as the entries are identical between the 2 systems everything is OK. The users and groups must have the same names and id numbers and the same home directory path. It will require some more work initially, but unfortunately this is the only work around for this problem."

what do you think about this? is this true?

thanks a million for your inputs!

chriseli

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 20 1999 - 13:34:50 CST