Re: Use Bequeth or IPC protocol to speed up large table copy between instances on the same server?

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:30:09 GMT

In article <385b8e7e.260674_at_news.earthlink.net>,   dshi_at_bigfoot.com (David Shi) wrote:
> We have several instances on the same server, and use database link to
> copy tables among them ( or join local table with remote table ),
> using sqlnet through TCP/IP is very slow, even though all databases
> resides on the same local machine. I tried to setup Bequeth or IPC in
> sqlnet with the hoping of using local processes will speed up data
> transfer significantly, but I can't get it working - have also
> contacted Oracle tech support.
>
> Has anyone done this and can kindly provide me a sample of sqlnet
> configuration files?
>
> Environment is SUN 6500, solaris 2.6 and Oracle 8 & 8i.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David
>
> PS. it is appreciated if you can cc to my email dshi_at_bigfoot.com as I
> don't have access to news at work. Thanks.

I thought beq was was local connections. I did not know there was a way to configure it to be used for remote instances that exist on the same platform. We have always used a tcpip sqlnet connection for remote instances even when they are on the same machine.

What I wanted to ask about was your distributed queries. Joins involving a distributed query often result in a full table scan of the remote table which can be a performance killer. You problem might just be that you need to tune the joins.

Some thinks you can check into:

Check out the driving site hint to push small local tables to the remote site for joining.

Rewrite joins to a remote table to be coordinated sub-queries where the local table has the key columns

Create views on the remote site where multiple remote tables exist so that each remote row fetched is the result of a remote join.

Duplicate remote tables via snapshot or home-grown processes to allow local joining.
--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 20 1999 - 08:30:09 CST