Re: meaning of TWO_TASK setting

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:51:54 -0500

Doug Cowles wrote:

> Can someone explain TWO_TASK?

> On an account I was at, someone was copying $ORACLE_HOME over to
> different
> machine to start up a database, and connection to oracle via internal
> was impossible
> without TWO_TASK set.

Hmmmm...sounds to me as if this session did not have correct environment variables set. If you have no setting for TWO_TASK and do not specify a TNS service name then the Oracle tool will connect you to a local database (again, assuming UNIX) whose sid equals the setting of environment var. ORACLE_SID (you will get a BEQUEATH adapter connection, which uses no TNS listener.)

> Then they re-linked oracle, and didn't need it.
> Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

I suspect they set the environment correctly during the relink operation & that's why they no longer needed to use SQLNet for a local connection.

--

Vincent Ventrone    |  The MITRE Corp.
DBA, Dept. R101     |  M/S C020