Re: [Q] How does UNIX know where $ORACLE_HOME is?

From: NeilC <neilc-olops_at_nospambtinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:22:26 +0000

This is true if your shell type is sh or ksh - but if using csh, then it would be set using either .login or .cshrc

Also, it could be globally set in the /etc/profile (sh and ksh) or /etc/.login (chs)

Another alternative, is for the .profile or .login etc to call oraenv or coraenv (often found in /opt/bin). This is used to read the oratab file, and if ORAENV_ASK=NO is set in your .profile and an ORACLE_SID is set, then oraenv will determine the ORACLE_HOME from the oratab file according to the ORACLE_SID defined, without prompting the user.