Hot backup and recovery

From: Jack Zhu <jackzhu_at_qwestinternet.net>
Date: 19 Dec 1999 23:16:02 EST

Oracle 8.0.5 for RedHat Linux, which is in archive log mode.

At 10 am, I did a hot back up. Then at 10:15, a user dropped a table by mistake. I want to recover the database back tp 10am status, for recovering the dropped table.

My question is: what's the precedure? Can I do the following:

0. shutdown the database first
1. startup mount;
2. alter database datafile 'fileA' offline; (The dropped table is only in
fileA.)
3. restore the fileA from my backup at 10am. 4. issue "recover datafile 'fileA'; " Now it's supposed to display some messgaes like 'log file xxx applied...'. But I didn't get them at all, the only message is 'media recovery complete' 5. alter database datafile 'fileA' online.

Of course, database runs normally, but the dropped wasn't recovered. What's wrong with my procedure?
Do I have to also restore the control file(or other files) in stop 3, or before step 1? If yes and there're several copies control files in different location, restore them all?

And other better way to solve this dropped table problem? Thanks a lot!

Pls also email me a copy. Received on Sun Dec 19 1999 - 22:16:02 CST