Re: What is a Block Device?

From: Andre Whittick Nasser <awnasser_at_openlink.com.br>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:57:57 -0200

JFS (Journaled File System) is AIX's native filesystem, like HP's HFS and DEC's AdvFS.
JFS is especially designed to offer recovery capabilities in case of a AIX system crash.
The term journaled refers to the fact that it keeps a log of recent operations on the filesystem so that is can redo the last changes and keep the filesystem consistent, roughly similar to the redo log in Oracle. Raw/block devices can be implemented with the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) in AIX.
JFS, like any other UNIX filesystem, has a big overhead over raw and block devices, in that in you must keep the datafiles in UNIX files, which must use the underlying consistency, indexing, buffering and journaling characteristics of the filesystem. Therefore, theoretically speaking, its performance would be slower.

You should consider the tradeoff:

raw/block devices: relatively faster
filesystem: relatively slower, much easier management (beacause you are dealing with regular OS files).

I have read some articles, and it seem a trend, saying that becasue of the overwhelming improvements on HD technology, the difference in speed between raw/block devices and filesystem does not make up for the trouble of managing awkward LVM. And it makes sense to me !

 So I'd consider using filesystem insetead of Raw/block revices.

regards,

Andre

Doug Cowles escreveu na mensagem <385C3C05.4860A348_at_nospambigfoot.com>...