JFS issues?

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_nospambigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:59:00 -0500

I recently read in an AIX tuning manual that there can be an issue when using
journaled file systems with competition between what they call computational
memory, and non-computational memory - non-computational being that used to
maintain the journaled file system. It suggests that user processes can starve for
memory if you do not set a tuning parameter to prevent these JFS memory areas
from overtaking your computational memory. We think this could be a situation
we have now which is why we have some excessive paging on a box with several Oracle
instances on it. Is anyone familiar with competition between computational and non-
computational memory when using JFS? (and how it may affect Oracle).