alter index .. (storage ..) fails with ORA-00054. Workaround possible?

From: Hans Henrik Krohn <hhk_at_eud.dk>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 11:22:38 +0100

An application, performing a big update-batchjob that is 99,9 % completed, fails with the message

    ORA-01632: max # extents ... reached in index ... and the application gives the opportunity to retry the sql-statement that failed.
But attempts to increase maxextent using

    alter index ... storeage (maxextents 9999) fails with error message

    ORA-00054: resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified

The urgent question is of course whether there is a workaround that alters the storage clause for the index even though it is locked? It anybody has any ideas, I will be profoundly gratefull, please email directly to hhk_at_eud.dk.

Database in question is Oracle 7.3.4.2 on True64 Unix.

The non-urgent question is of course why it <_is_> possible to alter the storage clause for a table thas is being updated upon (I know this, having done it often enough), but not possible to do the same for an index?

Regards,

Hans Henrik Krohn
EU-direktoratet
Denmark
hhk_at_eud.dk Received on Sat Dec 18 1999 - 04:22:38 CST