control file problems

From: Gregory P. Schin <gps_at_lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:19:44 -0700

Hi,

I am fairly experienced with Informix but have very little Oracle experience. I was recently asked to setup an Oracle database. The installation went fine and the system worked fine after the installation. I was able to use sqlplus ok.

During the install I placed the control files and redologs on 3 different disk/file systems. I had to reconfigure the disks and unmount /kedata1 and /kedata2 (with oracle off) but then when I rebooted oracle turned on automatically (without /kedata2 and /kedata3 mounted).

Now that I have everything back together - the sytem gives me this error on a dbstart:

$ dbstart

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.0.4.0.0 - Production

(c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.4.0.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 8.0.4.0.0 - Production

SVRMGR> Connected.
SVRMGR> ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area       4847808 bytes
Fixed Size                       47296 bytes
Variable Size                  4317184 bytes
Database Buffers                409600 bytes
Redo Buffers                     73728 bytes
ORA-00214: controlfile '/kedata1/oradata/A/control01.ctl' version 746 inconsistent with file '/kedata2/oradata/A/control02.ctl' version 726 SVRMGR>
Server Manager complete.

Database "A" warm started.

I tried copying /kedata1/oradata/A/control01.ctl over /kedata2/oradata/A/control02.ctl and then I get an error about the redologs.

What is the easiest way - short of re-installing to fix this?

$ ls -l /kedata?/oradata/A
/kedata1/oradata/A:
total 253968
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 1431552 Dec 16 15:46 control01.ctl