Help Please:serious: database connection ora 12545

From: <susil99_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:25:51 GMT

I have two databases "sfdb" and "nydb" on two different machines. I have separate listener running on them as well. I created a tnsnames at each site to connect to other site( the connect string being "sf" and "ny") and to itself.

Connection works fine for a while, when I connect from one machine (eg .nydb) to other(eg. sfdb). But sometime , I am unable to connect to other machine (database).

The error I get is :
ORA-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

I have all the correct entires in the tnsnames and I am using TCP/IP protocol and ip address for the host and the correct sid. And I have checked that during all this time the destination database and listener are up and running.

Does anyone can answer this, why I am facing this random behaviour, where i am able to connect initially for first few attempts then some times later, I am not able to. One strange behaviour is that once I get this error I am not able to connect until i restart tnslistener at the both ends.

The version in use is 8.1.5 (8i)

Thanks

Susil

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 17 1999 - 14:25:51 CST