Urgent: Can't connect internal (Oracle8i on Solaris7)

From: Manfred Sturm <Manfred.Sturm_at_itServe.ch>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:44:28 +0100

Hi

I'm not able to dbshut/dbstart my 3 successfully instances of my Oracle8i (8.1.5.0.0 for Solaris7) installation anymore. Trying to connect using svrmgrl with my Oracle installation user (named: oracle8i,

member of groups: dba,oinstall,oper) using   SVRMGR> connect internal
  Password:
  ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
a password, I never have been prompted for. Neither 'manager' nor 'change_on_install' nor 'oracle' works.   SVRMGR> connect / as sysdba
  ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
pretty much the same result here.

Note: I expect to be able to log in internally to the currently set ORACLE_SID database instance. I intent to use OS authentication with remote_login_passwordfile set to none and a removed $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw<ORACLE_SID> file (I did this modification while the particular db instance was shut down).

I try to find a way to use OS authentication with no password for the internal user, so dbstart/dbshut work unchanged for a UNIX user being member of the dba or oper group (as described in the administration manual).

Note: Using dbassist produces me a db (or scripts incl. init<SID>.ora and opapw<SID>) not password file authentication, but I'd like to use OS authentication. What are the steps to switch?

But for now it seems I have locked myself out of the system for startup/shutdown or database manipulation operations.

P.S.: user sys/change_on_install and system/manager still work fine :-|

Who can help me out?

Cheers

Manfred